Friday, August 22, 2008

MESSAGE FROM DR. KLINE

LDR 1100 Instructors

I enjoyed your classes on Thursday; you are all doing great.

Cody Ash and friends will be in each class on Tuesday. The classes will meet together as we did on Thursday. I will come with him for at least the start of each class and will likely stay the whole time during at least one of the sessions. The length of time Cody and friends stay will likely depend on the level of response by the students. They may be there for the whole 75 minutes, or perhaps only 30 or so. Anyway, be prepared to take the students back to your own classrooms if Cody and friends run out of stuff to say. If you don't know Cody, he is a great guy and an outstanding student leader; and I am sure he will have other great kids with him.

Impromptu speeches are always good and useful filler. Sometimes I have 25 things written on individual slips of paper and let them draw two and throw one back. I usually give them the slips either just as they are walking to the front to speak, or else as the person before them begins to speak. Other times I let each student write two or three things—each on a separate slip of paper, and let students draw from the pile. I instruct students not to put in embarrassing or improper topics. At other times I just point to some object in the room, or hand students a set of keys, a coke can, or some other item and ask them to speak imaginatively on the object. I have them do impromptu speeches several times each during the term. I think it is a great use of the time—and easy on the instructor.

I appreciate you guys. jak

1 comment:

LDR 1100 Instructors said...

Okay, I screwed up on my information about the class on Tuesday. Actually these Trojan Ambassadors are coming. Cody told me he would come to all of them if I wanted him to do that. He will most likely join the group at 8:30. But probably won't be there at the 10:00 one. Here is the list Lyndsy Cox sent me of who is coming to each class.

8:30-9:45
1. Caitlyn Wade
2. Ashley Adkins
3. Kemonia Brown
4. Ashley Daniels

10-11:15
1. Caitlyn Wade
2. Ashley Adkins
3. Ashley Daniels

11:30-12:45
1. Jamie Adkins
2. Cody Ash
3. Melanie Mularz
4. Laura Rotch

jak